Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Diary of an Angry (ex)Nets Fan: My Final Words

It was the end of a era(or error depending on how you look at it). After 35 years (36 if you count their first year in the ABA as the NJ Americans) in the New Jersey the Nets played their final home game at the Prudential Center in Newark with all the glory and fanfare that they so richly deserved, but yet the results were still the same– another lost.
Since April 30,2012 I've un-followed and un-liked just about everything having to do with the Nets franchise within my social networks – But I've struggled the last few months to put into words my final thoughts as ex-Nets fan.

It has been a on heck of a ride over the last 30 years. The Nets were the first sports team I became a fan of. I went to my first Nets game when I was around 4 years old. It was against the Lakers at the Brendan Byrne Arena. I can't remember much outside of the fact that I was told I feel asleep during the 2nd quarter, but I was hooked. I've seen great Net's teams, horrible ones,Hall of Famers, Has beens, and never was's. 
But what continues to frustrate me is the outright lie the that predicated the move. It was obvious to just about everyone that it was land grab from then majority owner Brice Ratner to get his Atlantic Yards project built. For 7 years I've watched his dream ruin my hopes as fan as he dismantled what to took 25 years and 3 owners to build. 
Proponents say that move is great for the franchise, that they'll make make more money, have a bigger market, and a wider audience, blah, blah, blah, but that's just lip service. The the grim reality is that the Nets are one of the most mismanaged teams in all of the NBA.


2 comments:

  1. Peace Norman Oder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Oder it's an Honor. Your reporting on the AY showed the real complexity of the issue

      Delete